The Engelbrekt church history in English. Please see the Swedish pages and "Gallery" page for more pictures.
At the beginning of the 20th century large parishes in the growing city of Stockholm were divided. This gave room for building new churches and Engelbrekt was one of them. It has been called the church of the "sermon on the mount". One reason is the magnificent situation high on top of the old "Mill hill". The church seems to literally grow up from the cliff itself. The bell tower rises 65 meters, with its top reaching 99 m (330 feet) measured from the street level.
The Engelbrekt church was dedicated in 1914. It was designed by professor Lars Israel Wahlman and is considered to be the most striking examples of the "Arts and Crafts"-movement in architecture in Sweden. It's a kind of Gothic style tempered by national romanticism.
Typical for this style of architecture, perhaps best known by its German designation - "Jugend" - is the use of authentic material and its imaginative richness of form: the great granite blocks of the church walls are hand hewn and decorated with a profusion of symbolic ornamentation as seen on the pillars, over the portals and high up in the vaulted arches.
The central point of the church is the massive stone altar. Its hand-hewn base is not concealed by any altar cloth, as is often the case elsewhere. Only a narrow strip of cloth with varying liturgical colours adorns the rim.
highest in Scandinavia, reaching 32 meters (107 feet) above the floor.
High up in the arches four large symbols indicate key points in the history of salvation.
Engelbrekt church can seat 1400 people, but it is not often filled to capacity. For smaller services the church has its own chapel on the south side, frequently used for weekly communion, funerals etc.
One of the most remarkable features of Engelbrekt is the unusually large organ loft, which has room for several large choirs and an orchestra - up to 120 musicians. Every Good Friday, since 1923, the St. Matthew passion by JS Bach has been performed (see "music" in the engelbrekt main menu) here.
Behind the altar seven circular silver shields represents the clouds of heaven. Between them is the figure of Christ, returning in the midst of these clouds. Above the altar, we can see on the chancel wall Olle Hjortzberg's awesome painting, a threefold alfresco with the crucifixion as centerpiece.
A narrow granite gate on the south side leads down to the baptistery, also decorated with frescos of the same artist.The font itself is covered with silver and authentic multi-coloured gems symbolizing the heavenly Jerusalem.
Across from the baptistery the pulpit, in granite and oak, is built like a birds' nest.
The giddy vaulting of the church, supported by angel figures, is the